Tuesday, February 26, 2013


Wow. Another long delay. I feel that every blog post these days starts out with me mentioning how I'm going to be more consistent with posting. It will really happen, one of these days.

As Valentines day was just around the corner, we had some pink Valentine's cookies. Hudson, of course, wanted to try them once he saw everyone else eating one. Sara Beth obliged by getting an extra cookie for her and him to share.
We started to watch the Super Bowl, but it didn't last long. Hudson was more interested in taking everything out of entertainment cabinets. We decided to do something else instead. At least this super bowl we didn't end up in the urgent care center for a UTI, so that is better than nothing.
Simply eating pink cookies was not enough. So Heather and Sara Beth made some bright pink chocolate chip cookies together. The results were spectacularly pink and when Sara Beth brought some to her teachers at her school, they wanted the recipe so they could make some too.
Heather and I had planned on going out on a date the Friday before Valentine's day. So we got all dressed up, got the babysitter over and left. Half an hour later, we got the call that Hudson had thrown up. So our date got cut short. After cleaning Hudson up and putting him down for the evening, Heather and Sara Beth raced some tupperware boats across the kitchen floor before her bed time.
So two weeks ago, Heather's mom and step dad came in town for a long weekend visit. It was wonderful having them around. One day we decided to go to the Field museum in McKinney. Without a doubt, Hudson's favorite part was the big sand pit where the kids to "discover" dinosaur bones by brushing away the sand. We probably sat at that exhibit for a good 30 minutes. Sara Beth carefully brushed away the sand from the various embedded bones and Hudson just teetered around the uneven surface with a brush in his hand smiling while drooling on all the sand.
In the evening, everyone but Hudson and me ended up playing a variation on Old Maid. Sara Beth really got into it, though Paw-paw became more wary as the game progressed as Sara Beth had a tendency to cheat and look at other player's cards.
That weekend, Sara Beth decided that she wanted to try riding her bicycle without the training wheels. I told her to put on some long pants so she didn't scrape up her knees. By the time she was ready to get on the bike, she had put on not only long pants, but also leg warmers on her arms and gardening gloves on her hands. She did well for her first time without training wheels, but within 15 minutes she was ready for the training wheels to be put back on.
While Sara Beth was learning about balancing, her little brother was learning about plants. He was having a wonderful time enjoying the non-wintery weather by exploring the yard with only minimal supervision.
The night before Me-maw and Paw-paw finished their vacation with us, Sara Beth requested one more game of go fish.
Since my last post, we also went to the Fort Worth Stock Show with my parents. Sara Beth wanted to wear her helmet there, because, why not? She was fascinated by all the horses that we saw there.
Sara Beth enjoyed sitting on the farm equipment though she was more interested in the $10 inflatable horse toys, which I refused to pay for since they looked like they should have been worth about 25 cents. Hudson, on the other hand, absolutely loved the tractors. Every time we let him sit on one, he would make engine noises and had a big grin on his face.
My dad and Sara Beth found a dinosaur on the way back to the car. Sara Beth decided that she would bring the dinosaur home with us and "fed" it carrots to entice it to follow our car back to Wylie.

No comments: